Mental Health First Aiders Course - 2 Day
Mental ill health costs UK employers an estimated £34.9 billion each year – the equivalent of £1,300 for every employee in the UK workforce. Broken down, that’s £10.6 billion in sickness absence, £21.2 billion in reduced productivity, and £3.1 billion in replacing staff who leave their jobs for mental health-related reasons.Simple steps to improve the management of mental health in the workplace will allow employers to save 30% or more of these costs – at least £10 billion a year. This is where Safety First Aid Training can help.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
You won’t be taught to be a therapist, but just like physical First Aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor who has attended the Mental Health First Aid Association (MHFA) Instructor Training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
How will I learn?
Learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions.
How will attending a Mental Health First Aid course help?
Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
• Raises awareness and mental health literacy
• Reduces stigma around mental ill health
• Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
• Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
Two Day – Mental Health First Aiders Course
This two day course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental Health First Aiders have:
• An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
• Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
• Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
• Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
• Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
We limit numbers to 12 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. Everyone who completes the course gets an MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever they need it, and a certificate from Mental Health First Aid England to say they are a Mental Health First Aider.
You’ll also get a copy of the Line Managers’ Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill health. Although there will be no expiry date on your certificate, MHFA England recommends that you re-sit the course every three years in order to keep yourself up to date with knowledge and techniques.
View our available courses below or contact us about training at your venue